Pre-Speech Pathology and Audiology
Normally, students are first admitted to the Pre-Speech Pathology and Audiology (Pre-SPA) program of study and matriculate as such during their freshman and sophomore years. All Pre-SPA students are assigned an
in the College of Education and Human Service’s Center for Student Advising and Records in 710 Allen Hall.
After completing the necessary Pre-SPA requirements (see below), a student may apply for admission to the Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree program in Speech Pathology and Audiology.
It is the sole responsibility of the student to obtain an application to the major from CSD administrative secretary Charylene St. Clair in 805 Allen Hall, to complete the form, and to return it to her between February 15 and March 1:
Once applications have been reviewed and verified, students will receive a letter notifying them of the Department’s tentative admission decision. Students will be ranked according to their overall GPA for all undergraduate courses taken. The 45 Pre-SPA student applicants with the highest cumulative GPAs will be admitted to the B.S. degree program at the beginning of their junior year. Students who are not admitted may apply to the major by March 1 of the following year as long as they maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0.
Students must into the B.S. program in Speech Pathology and Audiology by informing the CSD administrative secretary.
To qualify for Pre-SPA admission, incoming freshmen must present an overall high school grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.00 or either an SAT score greater than 1050 or an ACT greater than 23. Students who transfer into Pre-SPA during their freshman or sophomore year from either another major at WVU or from another university must present a cumulative GPA of at least 3.00 (A = 4.0) for undergraduate courses taken prior to the time of transfer.
Admitted students are considered Pre-SPA until they have met the requirements specified below and have applied for (and have been accepted into) the B.S. degree program in Speech Pathology and Audiology. As stated above, Pre-SPA students seeking admission to the SPA major must hand-deliver a signed and completed Application into Speech Pathology and Audiology Degree Program to the Department administrative secretary by March 1.
The following are the minimum requirements for all Pre-SPA students applying for the SPA major:
1. Completion of at least 58 academic hours, including a letter grade of C- or better in each of the following courses:
– ENGL 101 & 102 (or equivalent ENGL 103)
– Elementary Foreign Language 101 & 102 (or equivalent)
– LING 101
– MATH 126 (or higher)
– STAT 211 (or ECON 225)
– PSYC 101
– BIOL 101 & 103 (or BIOL 102 & 104)
– Physical Science (Physics or Chemistry course recommended)
– Human Inquiry & The Past (GEF 5)
2. Successful completion of CSAD 199, Orientation to Speech Pathology and Audiology
... (for students declaring Pre-SPA as an incoming freshman);
3. A letter grade of ‘B’ or better in CSAD 200, Introduction to Communication Disorders;
4. A letter grade of ‘B’ or better in CSAD 270, Effective Public Speaking;
5. A score of at least 80% on the SPA Qualifying Examination; and
6. An overall GPA of at least 3.00 (A = 4.0).
Important Information and Checklists for Pre-SPA Students
- Pre-SPA Checklist (GEF)
- Pre-SPA Checklist (Current Sophomores)
- Guidelines for the Pre-SPA Student
- Supporting Area Coursework
- SPA Application Check Sheet
- SPA Degree Program Application
- Suggested course Sequence for Pre-SPA Students
Student Volunteer Hours Record
Additional Information for Pre-SPA Honors Students
Back to Undergraduate Programs