Pre-SPA Program Requirements
To qualify for Pre-SPA admission, incoming freshmen must present an overall
high school grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.00
either an SAT score greater than 1050 or an ACT greater
than 23. Students who transfer into Pre-SPA during their freshman or sophomore
year from either another major at WVU or from another university must
present a cumulative GPA of at least 3.00 (A = 4.0) for undergraduate
courses taken prior to the time of transfer.
Admitted students are considered Pre-SPA until they have met the minimum requirements specified below and have applied for (and have been accepted into) the Bachelor of Science in Speech Pathology and Audiology degree program (the SPA Major).
Pre-SPA students seeking admission into the SPA Major must follow the instructions on the Apply for Admission to the SPA Major page.
The following are the minimum requirements for all Pre-SPA students applying to be an SPA Major:
- Completion of at least 58 academic hours, including a letter grade of ‘C’ or
better in each of the following courses:
- English 101 and 102 (or equivalent English 103)
- Linguistics 101
- Mathematics 122 (or higher)
- Statistics 211 (or Economics 225)
- Psychology 101
- Physical Science
Objective 3 or
GEF 5, 6, or 7 if entering WVU as a freshmen in Fall 2016 (or after
- Successful completion of CSAD 199, Orientation to Speech Pathology and Audiology (for students declaring Pre-SPA as an incoming freshman);
- A letter grade of ‘B’ or better in CSAD 200, Introduction to Communication
- A letter grade of ‘B’ or better in CSAD 270, Effective Public Speaking;
- Completion or concurrent enrollment of
- CSAD 222: Phonetics and Phonology
- CSAD 234: Anatomy and Physiology of Speech and hearing Mechanism
- CSAD 236: Language Science
- A score of at least 80% on the CSD Qualifying Examination and
- An overall GPA of at least 3.00 (A = 4.0).